Counting Our Blessings

Counting Our Blessings

Saturday, February 18, 2017

What is a Feeding G-tube???

Thanks for your overwhelming love and support from my previous blog post.  I wanted to let you all know that we have a surgery date scheduled for March 9th at 11:45 for the G-tube.  I know many of you had a lot of questions regarding the G-tube and how it will work so I hope to answer those in this blog. 

A gastric feeding tube (G-tube or "button") is a tube inserted through a small incision in the abdomen into the stomach and is used for long-term enteral nutrition. Some people with neuromuscular (and other) conditions have difficulties with chewing and swallowing (dysphagia). This can sometimes lead to aspiration (food or drink 'going down the wrong way' - ending up in the lungs), which in turn can lead to choking, bacterial infections and possibly pneumonia. If this is the case, it may be necessary to avoid certain foods & drinks, or in some cases to cease oral feeding completely.

So now that I have given you the textbook terms let me answer some of the most asked questions:


Can you still eat through your mouth?- Yes.  For now I can eat soft, smooth, wet foods. Because of my swallowing weakness I get food residue build up in my hypopharynx.  I can feel this so I will swallow six or seven times per bite to empty the residue.  However eventually as things become weaker.  I will lose the sensation that things are stuck and that is when it will be too dangerous for me to eat by mouth.

Will the tube stick out of your stomach?- Yes and No.  For a few months while my surgery site heals and creates scar tissue around the incision I will have to live with a tube sticking out.  After that they will pull the tube out and put a flat mic-key button in.

What will it look like and how do the feedings work?-  








What things can you eat through the tube?- Caloric Nutritional meal supplements, medications, and things that are blended well.


A few things “Not to say to a person who is getting/has a feeding tube”: 
  • I would kill myself if I couldn’t eat anymore
  • I wish I had a feeding tube so I could lose some weight
  • You are so lucky you have an excuse not to eat the things you don’t like
  • It’s not that bad, at least you can still eat some things

Can you taste the tube feedings?- No.  This will be great because most of the formulas are not very tasty.

How often does the tube need to be replaced?-  We were told this depends on how well we keep things clean and maintained.  Most tubes last 12 months and can be easily replaced in your doctors office.

Can you still go swimming?- Yes I can still go swimming, take a shower etc.  


As always feel free to ask me any other questions if i miss anything.


Things I’m Thankful for:
- All of you(seriously we feel so blessed by your prayers and desire to walk this road with us)
-A great conversation with my kids about the surgery.
-Lots of reaching out from friends and family with prayers, sweet words and offers of help.
-The most amazing clam chowder from the world famous Splash Cafe in Pismo.
-My son Jonah getting a Fearless For Christ award at school.
-The incredible amount of donations that have come in for our future service dog.
-God’s word(the bible) that is food to my soul


Things to Pray for:
  • All of the upcoming tests and procedures before the surgery
  • My anxious heart(that I would trust God with the unknowns)
  • For Jason and the kids as they continue to process it all.
  • For the Jog-A-Thon next week


No comments:

Post a Comment