Counting Our Blessings

Counting Our Blessings

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Transplant Holiday Hoe Down

Today we went to a celebration at UCLA for all the kids who have had a heart transplant or who are waiting to receive a heart.  It was an honor to be there, a lot of fun and a lot to take in.  I sat in my seat looking over each table wondering what each persons special story was.  There was a part of the day that brought me to tears.  They had a basket in the middle of the stage.  One of the doctors put a bouquet of white roses in the basket for the lives that have been lost of those who never made it to transplant or whose bodies rejected the hearts.  Then they had the kids line up who have received a heart and drop a red rose in the basket in honor of there donor.  It was very hard to fight back the tears as I watched these beautiful children and thought of the ones that had lost there lives and the families that had given the most precious gift.  Then to picture Noah standing in that same line was overwhelming.  Sometimes this just doesn't seem real to me until moments like these.  The whole UCLA transplant team was there and they were all so excited to be putting on this special event for all the kids.  They served a nice lunch and there was even a surprise visit from Santa who passed out gifts to all the kids.  I'm so thankful to be at UCLA.  The staff is so great and care so much for the kids.

I was really hoping to be able to talk with another family that was Noah's age that had his same heart defect.  The Lord made that possible near the end of the event.  This sweet little boy Aiden came up to noah and started talking with him.  I asked him if he had his heart transplant and he told me yes when he was four.  His Aunt then came over and we began to talk.  It turns out that Aiden who is eight has the exact condition as Noah.  We both acknowledged it was very rare to find children with Restrictive Cardiomyopathy.  Most of the kids have the other two more common Myopathies.  It was great to talk symptoms and wait times and medications and so on.  I was so pleased to get there information for future questions.  Talking with them made me feel so comforted but at the same time so much more anxious for "the call".  Aiden waited two years for his heart and in between was in and out of the hospital and at one point had a mild stroke.  I do not want to see Noah get weaker or sick.  It did warm my heart to see Aiden running around with his big smile and showing off his superman scar on his chest.  His Aunt sais they have a hard time keeping up with him now.  Praise God for his life and his spunky attitude.  I know he inspired Noah today.  He told me tonight it was so cool meeting Aiden and seeing his chest.

We have a long road ahead and we are taking it step by step laying it all at Jesus feet.  These children are precious gifts and are on loan to us from the Lord. He is in control and already knows the outcome.   I know he has Noah in the palm of his hand and I trust his will.  His good and perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment