Counting Our Blessings

Counting Our Blessings

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

His Grace is Sufficient


We are so incredibly grateful to everyone who showed up to the Chick-Fil-A fundraiser last night.  The turnout blew us away!  Obviously the purpose of the event was to raise funds to Noah’s upcoming surgery expenses – and it did - but last night our family walked away encouraged and strengthened especially as we think about the difficult days ahead.  Last night Melody and I went to bed praising the Lord with tears in our eyes amazed at how the Lord poured out His blessing through all of you.  The amazing thing about last night is that it was just one of many examples of how we have seen the body of Christ come together.  You all have been teaching us so much about what it means to stand shoulder to shoulder, encouraging one another to “press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”  

As I thought about last night there is another way that God has been continually encouraging our family during this time that I think we so often overlook or miss or at least I have in the past.  For me it brings such encouragement to see so many people living their lives faithfully unto the Lord.  I am more convinced than ever that the way we live our lives is a testimony that God is using to mutually build His church.  Not that we are perfect, but that in light of Gods Grace that we can confidently claim 2 Corinthians 12:9 that “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.”  Most gladly therefore, I would rather boast of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  I can not think of a time in my life that I have felt more weak, but at the same time seeing the works of God more clearly displayed all around us.  I truly have nothing to boast in except the power of Christ.  This time has been a reminder for me that I can bring nothing to God – not righteousness, goodness our skills and abilities.  What do we have that has not been given to us?  Romans 5 says, For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.  Then Romans 5 goes on to say, that “God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
I probably am writing this blog post as much for my benefit as anything else – it’s a reminder that God first reached out to me in my sin and helplessness.  But I also share it because this is the core of the gospel and the answer to a question that Mel and I have been asked many times in the past few months…”how do you guys do it?  You have so much going on in your life.”  My answer is simply that “Gods grace is sufficient”     

Please pray for us as Noah has an appointment at UCLA with one of the Cardiologist and a Neurologist.  Right now we are so focused on the urgent – which is getting Noah a new heart but with some updates to Melody’s diagnosis the doctors anticipate that Noah may also have Muscular Dystrophy.  We are hoping to get more information tomorrow.  Also please pray for Jonah.  He was tested as well for the gene mutation that was discovered in Melody.  We obviously hope his test turns out negative

No comments:

Post a Comment